Saturday, July 18, 2015

Lesson 4: Bridging the Generation Gap



Jean C. Cotamora BSED General Science 4
Author

CONTENT:
            It may not be all, but the previous generation, basically from us, have fears that they might not be able to relate to what we use now. They feel like there is a “generation gap” between us and them. These are just simple things but may often lead to conflicts in relationships.
            The previous generation includes some of the teachers today. In this fast changing world, teachers too, as I have always emphasized teachers must adapt. There, teaching styles should be updated. With ICT in education, communication is faster and better and sometimes may go through borders such as in “country-country” communication. But I believe, teachers who are born on the previous generation are also exerting efforts in coping up with the demand of the world, (thanks to DepEd for providing trainings).


EXPERIENCE:
Some find it hard to understand concepts
            The reporters showed pictures and comparing the past and the present and made us realized the implication of the gap between us and the previous generation with respect to technology. When I was in high school, there are some subjects that I find hard to understand because I simply can’t visualized what my teachers are teaching. When I went to college, because of the manner of teaching, I come to understand those concepts because of the use of technology (example, topics about cell, it took a while for me to relate what was my teacher saying because I can’t imagine what a mitochondrion looks like or golgi bodies, to name a few).

REFLECTION:
            Teachers belonging to the previous generation were not acquainted with technology during their time and the teaching strategies they have learned are different from the students now, hence, students should understand their teachers who teach traditionally but teachers should also should learn to adapt to the learning styles of their students too (I used third person because it seems to me that my teachers now are up to date). Teachers must never hate technology and think of it as a burden because technology in education is intended to help not to add to problems.

APPLICATION:
            In my teaching later, I certainly will use technology not just to improve my mode of instruction but also to make it easier for my students to understand what I am teaching to them most especially the conceptual ones.
            If it happened that I have a student who is not acquainted with technology, then I will finds ways for him/her to cope up. (Perhaps, I can group him/her with students who have gadgets and that s/he’ll be able to learn easily). 

Here is a video on how  ICT changes the way teachers teach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment