Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Lesson 12: Information Technology in Support of Student-Centered Learning



Jean C. Cotamora BSED General Science 4
Author

CONTENT

difference between teacher-centered and student-centered approach

 Here's a video about student-centered approach:



Students performing lab activities
The idea of a student-centered learning has already been realized by early educators. Since then, educators have already realized the need for an active and an instruction centered at students to cope with the fast changing world. Traditional learning is teacher centered, that means to say, the teacher is the sole source of information, the center of the teaching and learning process and students are just passive learners. With SCL, students are more involved in the process of their learning, hence, they are no longer passive but has become active learners. A student-centered learning makes students more critical and creative thinkers.



Since our world is changing, information technology also has been incorporated in the SCL approach in teaching. In the process, students are not active in learning but teachers job has been made easier because computers aid them in their instruction and somehow do their job (but not to the point of totally replacing them).



Students using tab
Student-centered learning plus information technology makes the teaching and learning more productive. There is total shifting from the traditional learning to the new one. Information technology offers so many ways from which the teacher can make his/her lesson more updated in content and updated in methods. Learners can access to any information through the Internet.




EXPERIENCE

  
I could really say that SCL is more evident to me in College than in high school and elementary. During my high school and elementary years, my teachers’ approach is usually centered on them, not us, learners. Their approach shifts to “SCL” when they give group activities or they let us report. In college, teaching styles are different. With SCL I get to construct my own meanings and concepts of lesson. I get to learn in an active way because I am involve in the process of my own learning. I am not totally dependent on what my teacher says but I search on my won or I do the job to figure own. I have become inquisitive and more eager to learn.

student using tablet


SCL is not only centered on me, it also makes me consult the net for my learning. Hence, information technology gets involve in my learning.




REFLECTION



I have long realized that it’s not the teacher who should be the center of the classroom, it should be the students. In this fast changing world, teachers have to change methods. Students must really be involve in the process of their learning because the world we are having now demands intimate participation. If we don’t participate we get loss in the way. SCL must be employed in schools. However I am not saying that this should be the only method to use, it is still depending on the lesson. As much as possible, teacher must make her lessons centered on the students. SCL revolutionizes the classroom from being just a classroom where a teacher teaches and the students listen into a classroom that makes the students the teacher (in a sense) and the teacher a listener and a facilitator. With information technology as their friend, their learning is just click away.



APPLICATION



As a teacher in the 21st century, I think it is appropriate for me to employ this strategy in my teaching later. This is not just to conform to the global pattern but to make use also of my students’ activeness in learning. I will only employ teacher-centered approach if the lessons to be tackled are difficult and highly conceptual. In such scenarios, I will suggest sites or soft wares that they can visit and use to broaden their understand and learn at their own pace.




No comments:

Post a Comment