Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Lesson 14: The Software as an Educational Resource


Jean C. Cotamora BSED General Science
Author

CONTENT 

When people think of a computer, they think of that rectangular or square device that projects images or shows videos, or they think of a machine from which anything can be searched. A computer however is not a computer just because of its appearance but it is because of the programs and soft wares that run it. A computer would just be a useless thing if no program or software run it. There are two kinds of soft wares: system software – this is the operating system of the computer built in all computer machines, and applications software- a system that commands a particular task or solves a particular problem. An application software by the way can be: custom software – performs a specific task for a specific company or client, and commercial software – for personal computers performing specific task.

Microsoft windows/Windows is the operating environment between the user and the computer operating system; this enables the computer to work. This provides user convenience - a file or a program is just a click away to run, a new look – fancy appearance of the computer (borders, streamlined text), information center – windows puts all communication activities and configures the computer for Internet, and plug and play  - configures computer for sound and video. An instructional software can be visited via Internet or purchased via dealers or software shops.

EXPERIENCE

Soft wares are not just big help in running the computer, also in learning. Some soft wares like Virtual DNA Fingerprinting (which I have used) enabled me to learn how to do DNA isolation and somehow learn and appreciate the work of a crime scene operatives. I also learn a lot from Encarta; its game and encyclopedic features teaches me a lot, sometimes I use this as a reference in my researches. Ginger also (a “concerned with grammar” software) helps check my grammar whenever I write compositions; in the process I learn about more about grammar and its dos and don’ts.  Games also make me strategic and sometimes make me think deeper – in the process I develop higher-level of thinking.

REFLECTION

It is up to the teacher the decision on what material to use in employing computer-based learning by considering its availability, tangibility, appropriateness and function and may even consider the reviews of the software. It is important for a teacher to be cautious in picking software to use since others contain virus or may be just be a scam. It is important for a teacher to consult first his/her objectives or lesson before picking up a certain software to use. He/she must see to it that the software he/she will use is user friendly. Of course in the process the teacher should be there to guide the students.
 
APPLICATION

As a future teacher, if I employ the use of certain soft wares in my lessons, I will make sure that I know how to use the software/s for me teach it well, also to answer queries if my students. I must make use of soft wares that are within my reach. I will consider the appropriateness or suitability of the software in my instruction. I will not use any just for the sake of being “digital” or “in,” in teaching, but will only use a software if the real thing or avenue is not available or if I want my students to practice before engaging in the real activity or drill in the classroom for them to  be more prepared.

2 comments:

  1. A very interesting article. The insights are really helpful and informative. Thanks for posting.
    educational software for schools

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. UCAT

    ReplyDelete