Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Lesson 15: Understanding Hypermedia


Jean C. Cotamora BSED General Science 4
Author 

CONTENT



Here's a video about Hypermedia in the Classroom: 

Multimedia refers to the audiovisual packaged including one or more instructional media (text, graphics, audio animation and video clip). Hypermedia is a multimedia, only that it is packaged as an educational software where students could access information and perform activities. IT applications are usually hypermedia and may be in a form of tutorial software packages, knowledge webpages, or simulation games. The presentation of information in a hypermedia is not chronological hence a student can have a full autonomy over his/her learning by deciding on which path to take first. An outstanding hypermedia has the following characteristics: learner control – the learner decides on his/her learning, which to take first or what to take; learner wide range of navigation routes – the learner can choose to speed up or slowdown in learning, skip those concepts already learned, or repeat other activities or lessons – all depending on the student; variety of media – a hypermedia uses more than one media but this does not mean it uses all, it only uses those that are necessary.



EXPERIENCE



Hypermedia is not necessarily chronological, although it can be chronological too, but it is up to the user which to tackle first. Encarta I say, (aside from the fact that it is a software) is a hypermedia (based on the definition of hypermedia). With Encarta, I get to decide what to read or learn first, not based on the arrangement of the lesson but on my preference. I decide which to explore first. I think the Internet too is hypermedia in nature since I decide on what I should learn not based on what it suggest but based on my interest. I get to access to text files or multimedia files as sooner as I can because they are just a click away, no need to go through a long chronological arrangement of information.



REFLECTION



From the statement above (referring to content), a teacher should then select correctly the hypermedia to use depending on it advantages, functions and limitations. Even with all these, a hypermedia does not replace the teacher, instead it helps the teacher in making instruction for and learning of the students easier and fun, less boring and not traditional. In employing hypermedia, the teacher must get first the learners’ attention, recall prior learning for connection, inform learners of the lesson objectives so that they too know what to do, introduce the software and is features for them to get familiar, guide their learning, provide feedback for them to be better, check on their learning, and enhance retention and learning transfer by constantly reviewing and letting them teach their co-learners.  



APPLICATION



As a future teacher, I think hypermedia is a very good software to use if I am promoting self-directed learning in my students since learning through multimedia is based on preference and interest of the learner. I would suggest the use hypermedia to my students but of course only those that I have examined. Since hypermedia offers a non-chronological way of learning, I think I would first introduce my students to the concept of the lesson and leave to them the reviewing or relearning of the concepts that aren’t clear to them with the use of hypermedia soft wares.


No comments:

Post a Comment